The Federal Government has directed the dispersed 2000 recruits of the Nigeria Immigration Service to attend the screening exercise scheduled for next week to address their complaint.
The Comptroller-General of Immigration, Muhammed Babandede, told reporters on Wednesday in Abuja, that such screening was not new to a law enforcement agency like the NIS.The service had earlier announced in a statement that the decision to re-screen the dispersed recruits was reached in the aftermath of an emergency meeting of the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration, and Prisons Services Board on August 11, 2016.The 2000 dispersed officers were expected to go through necessary security clearance, undergo a drug-test, certificate verification as well as the implementation of CDFIPB policy on “Age on Rank.”Babandede stated that the officials who recruited the dismissed applicants “went beyond the instruction of the former president,” adding that, “those who committed the offence had been punished.”He said, “The only condition we gave them is to pass through a certain test and they don’t want to pass through that test. Do you blame government for that? I think we should commend the President for approving this kind of procedure.
“It is very commendable, we could have started fresh recruitment with other people but we said we want to take them alone, when we screen them and they pass the screen they will get their jobs.”
The CG said there was no ulterior motive behind the screening.
“The assurance I will give is that first, we are going to follow the due process. What kind of sinister motive will be when, for example, if we find somebody who is over 40 years of age and want to start government work as regimented officer?” he asked.